Tuesday, April 08, 2003

Agree to Disagree - The Conflict Equilibria..
Realization dawned, finally!

Looks like conflict, disagreement, argument, debate and if I exaggerate a bit, War, are all part of an equilibirium. Trying to achieve everlasting peace or trying to get an everlasting consensus on any matter should be a really challenging task simply because we are trying to disturb an equilibirium(which has always proved to be tough). And worse still, is maintaining that consensus over a period of time!

If I had known this a year ago, I wouldn't have probably allowed an argument on Gandhi get nasty. I was primarily responsible for that!

A couple of months ago, I wouldn't have demanded to know who is fair and who is not in this War on Iraq.

I am really disappointed with myself, for I failed to recognize this simple equilibirium. Or maybe that I did know that it existed - but just that I kept forgetting it in the heat of argument. Passion seems to be the main culprit! :(

Whatever it might be, better late than never. Now, I can peacefully participate in all arguments with a mentality to retain this equilibirium. Because consensus is an "excited state" and even if it is attainable, it will take a lot of energy to retain it in that state.

Not that I don't want challenge - just that I have realized a fundamental truth!

No comments: